Cycle Five!! Contest Rules
- The contest is open to the first 100 online registrants (in each region) of any age and level of experience
who are residents or full-time student residents of one of the 50 United States. Online registration and entry
submission will be by region — Southeast, Northeast, Midwest, Southwest, or West Coast and only ONE registration may
- Southeast Region: AL, DE, FL, GA, KY, MD, MS, NC, SC, TN, VA, WV, DC
- Northeast Region: CT, MA, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT
- Midwest Region: IA, IL, IN, MI, MN, ND, OH, SD, WI
- Southwest Region: AR, AZ, CO, LA, MO, MT, NE, NM, OK, TX, UT, WY
- West Coast Region: AK, CA, HI, ID, NV, OR, WA
- Entrants must register online for the contest by 9am EDT at the deadlin, with entry fee of $40 to be paid at registration.
Registrants will electronically sign and agree to Terms & Conditions (including eligibility requirements, Participant
Release Form, Participant Performance and Recording Agreement). Registration fees are non-refundable. Because registration is limited to the first 100 registrants
per region, registration in a region could close early!
- Strict composition requirements (using classical instrumentation) will be emailed to registrants’
email addresses and posted on the Rapido! website at 9 am EDT on June 9, 2017.
- Entrants may submit only new compositions written during the 14-day period of [JUNE DATES TBA].
Any work not exactly following the required instrumentation and directions will not be accepted.
- Registrants will submit scores and parts as PDF files, and mP3s to their Rapido registration
account; instructions will be provided. MP3 sound files should be generated using any standard
notation software PLAYBACK function; please use MIDI or a similar electronic musical instrument when generating the
MP3 file. 128, 160 or 256 kbps for your MP3 file is acceptable. MP3 files of live performer readings are discouraged.
Scores must be submitted anonymously; the composer’s name should NOT appear
on any page of the score, parts or mP3. Only electronic submissions can be accepted.
- Electronic submissions MUST BE RECEIVED BY 11:59pm EDT on
on the deadline date.
- Three Semi-Finalists in each region (Southeast, Northeast, Midwest, Southwest, & West Coast) will be
chosen by August 15, 2017, notified by email, and announced on the Rapido! website. Anonymous judging will be by
Rapido! ensemble musicians, renowned composers and music dignitaries.
- Each Semi-Finalist will be awarded $250 to be used for travel to Atlanta, Boston, Dallas, Detroit, or
San Francisco for Fall 2017 Semi-Final Concerts and is required to attend.
One Finalist per region will be selected at each of the five Semi-Finals Concerts, which will be scheduled for Fall 2017.
- Semi-Final Concert dates will be announced shortly.
- Each National Finalist will be awarded $500 to be used for travel to Atlanta for the January 21, 2017 National Finals Concert
and is required to attend.
- An Audience Favorite Prize of $500 will be awarded at the National Finals Concert to one Finalist, chosen by online
- The Grand Prize Commission of $5,000 will be awarded at the National Finals Concert to one national winner to expand
by 10 to 12 minutes his or her short, submitted work, for performance by the five partner ensembles in the 2018-2019 concert season.
The national winner will also be invited to create a 12-15 minute work for the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra, to be premiered
in Spring 2019. (This orchestral score may utilize material from the chamber work or may be a completely new work.)
- The Grand Prize Winner will also receive a 2-week residency at the Hambidge Center for the Arts
in north Georgia, to be used within one year of receipt of Prize. Dates to be scheduled in coordination with the Hambidge Center staff.
- Decisions of the judges will be final. No winners may be declared if judges determine that the compositions are
not appropriate for programming by the Rapido! ensembles or by the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra.
- The musicians and staff of all Rapido partner ensembles and all of their immediate families are ineligible to compete
in the Rapido Composition Contest.